How to Ace Your Exams! | The Pug Life

9:23 PM


Hey guys!

This is the first time that I will post something other than the usual beauty related stuff that I do, but since I am a student and Finals is coming I decided to give some of you out there some piece of advice that might help you when it comes to studying like it does to me. 

First of all for you to be able to get an effective study you need to know what type of learning style is best for you. I had discovered that there are four types of learning styles and before I get into my tips on studying let us discuss those four types first.

Visual: You learn well when aided by images, pictures, and spatial organization of elements.

Auditory: You learn well when aided by music, sound, rhyme, rhythm, speaking or listening.

Reading/Writing: You learn well by reading or writing the material you want to learn.

Kinesthetic: You learn well when you can move your body, and/or use your hands and sense of touch. Writing or drawing diagrams are physical activities that can fall into this category as well.

I found out that I am a mix of auditory and reading/writing. For some reason while listening to music and rewriting my lecture notes, re-reading my book helps me in memorizing stuff that I need for the exam, and also saying the stuff [out loud] that I've rewritten helps me in studying.

Anyway without further ado here are some tips that [hopefully] might help you. 


1. Highlighting Keywords

I don't know about you but highlighting keywords or phrases on a textbook helps me in easily finding them for future references. 

During lecture halls if you're that type of person who doesn't want to or prefers not to take down notes, you should at least bring out your textbook and highlighter and go on to that chapter you guys are discussing and just highlight the keywords or phrases so that way you won't forget. 

I do that sometimes when I'm feeling lazy on taking down notes on my notebook, and during these days I tend to make a memo on the side of the page of my textbook. I find this method helpful especially if I forgot my notebook or wanted to write down some important informations or facts.

2. Listening and Understanding 

Listen during lecture halls. What are you even doing at school if you're not listening to your teacher or professor. 

Trust me, by listening during lecture halls you will actually acquire informations even if you're not taking down notes. I'd like to call the knowledge that we acquire from by just listening "stock knowledge". Because if your professor suddenly decides to give you a pop quiz at least if you've actually listened and understood what he was going on about, you'll know the answer. 

I can confirm to this when my professor gave us a pop quiz, I wasn't taking down notes at that time but luckily I was listening to him go on and on about economics so I still got an A.

3. Rewriting Notes

Hi, hello. I know some of you may be just as lazy as me, I totally understand if you don't want to do this. But this actually helps in studying especially when you have an exam the following day or week. 

I like to rewrite my notes because I find that it helps me in memorizing, especially when I say the stuff that I rewrite out loud to myself like I'm giving a lesson. It also helps if you make your notes more fun to look at by changing the color of your pen when you're writing down a keyword and changing it back again when you're writing its definition. I know it sounds like a lot of work but by the end of it, I swear you're going to want to read your notes over and over again because it's so damn pretty.  

4. Read Your Textbook

This is pretty much self explanatory. By reading your textbook if you're that type of student who only likes to take down notes, you will find out more about the topic that your professor is/was discussing about. Also this is a great use in reviewing. 

5. Know Your Limit

Of course, studying non-stop could be great but it could also have a negative effect on your health. You have to have a study break, more or less 30 minutes, so that way your brain could function well and be able to get/memorize informations easily.

The thing with this is you will need to create a study schedule so that you will know when to stop and have a break, and when to continue studying so on and so forth. I use a planner to write things that is needed to be done, things that I need to study. I also use my phone in setting a timer so that I know when to have a break. 


I cannot guarantee you that by doing all the things above you will surely ace your exams, it really just depends on a person and how they study, but I do guarantee you that you will get a high grade. Just study, listen, and understand what is being taught to you. Make your parents proud because they didn't work hard to put you in a school just for you to go home with an F on your card. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments